The Mercer County Sheriff's Department accepts applications throughout the year. Individuals wishing to apply for a Deputy position will be required to complete the following:
1. Obtain application from the Mercer County Clerk's Office
2. Return completed application to the clerk's office
3. When a position or position(s) are open each applicant will receive a letter indicating that the hiring process has begun and will outline the physical and written examination process
4. Upon successful completion of the physical examination each candidate will receive a letter indicating the date and time of the civil service examination
5. Once the civil service examination is complete and graded candidates will be ranked according to their examination scores which determines the order of background investigations
6. Once background investigations are complete and three viable candidates are eligible for hire each candidate will be interviewed by the interview board where they will be evaluated by other Deputies
7. Evaluations are then sent to the Sheriff for final review and interview.